Compelling family reason
- Employee has the right to temporary absence from work if his or her immediate presence is required due to a sudden illness or accident in the family.
- The employer must be notified as soon as possible of the absence and its reason.
Absence to look after a family member or other close person
- If the employee’s absence from work is needed to look after a family member or another close person, under special circumstances, the employer should arrange work in a way that the employee can be absent for a temporary period of time.
- The employee and the employer agree on the duration of absence and other arrangements.
- The parties must also agree on earlier than expected return to work during the absence.
- If agreement is not possible, the employee may, on justified grounds, interrupt the absence by notification to the employer at the latest one month before returning to work.
- At the request of the employer, the employee must deliver an explanation of the reasons for absence and its interruption.