Occupational well-being must be developed in work involving travelling.
At workplaces, it is useful to jointly agree upon the compensation for travel time and if, for example, it is necessary for an employee to come to the office early in the morning after arriving home late from work the previous night. Sufficient recovery time must be taken into account. Superiors are responsible to ensure that their employees' work loads are what they should be.
Increasing the occupational well-being of an employee who travels on business
The occupational well-being of an employee who travels a lot on business can be significantly improved jointly at the workplace.
Employee and superior
- the number of travel days included in a forthcoming period and the number of departures and arrivals between 11 pm and 6 am
- the duration of travel days
- the amount of global travelling and time differences between destinations t
- he possibilities to rest
- flight times.
- Discuss the stressfulness of the above mentioned factors.
- Agree upon practices to curb the burden of travelling.
Occupational safety personnel
- Ensures that travel-related inconveniences are identified and that the magnitudes of the risks are assessed in the workplace peril assessment;
- Participates in the workplace surveys of mobile work and in the development of occupational safety and occupational well-being;
- Pays attention to night-time travelling and work involving travelling that increase the number of errors and accident potential due to lack of sleep and fatigue.
- Identifies those who travel on business, accrue a number of travel days per year and continuously either leave for a work-related trips or return from them at night time;
- Holds assessment discussions on the stressfulness of travelling with those who travel on business;
- Identifies and prevents health hazards related to work involving travelling;
- Brings up the topics of
- the number of travel days;
- the number of night-time departures and arrivals;
- the length of travel days;
- the destination areas of those travelling globally, the dispersal of these areas;
- travelling in the destination country
- flight durations and guidance for healthy flying.