Salary survey investigates pay by position
Salary survey is the statutory part of the gender equality plan. Act on Equality between Women and Men obliges employers with at least 30 employees to draft a gender equality plan.
Salary survey shall:
- Cover all personnel groups, including temporary and part-time employees.
- Take the classification of jobs into account. This refers to employer’s classification of jobs, on the basis of their difficulty/required skills level or other company classification policy for the purposes of categorising different jobs. The aim is to define the level of difficulty/required skills level of typical female and male jobs in the organisation.
- Examine and assess existing pay structures and actual salaries.
- Review the positioning of men and women in different jobs.
- Map out the classification of typical male and female jobs, pay and gender pay gaps.
- Ensure that no unjustified gender pay gaps exist in the workplace and that the pay structure corresponds to the requirements of the Act on Equality between Women and Men.
- Present the salary survey in such level of detail, for example in job groups, that conclusions can be drawn.
- Be comparable with previous plans in order to understand the trend. Ideally, the results between different departments and different countries of the same Group should be comparable, at least to some extent.
- Analyse the recruitment processes of the company and their equality.
Are recruitment processes equitable?
- Are both men and women encouraged to apply for vacant positions?
- Are such job titles and recruitment channels used that appeal to both male and female candidates, to apply for the vacant jobs?
- How can the organisation ensure, already during the recruitment process, that no unjustified gender pay gaps are created already in this phase?
In equality issues, it is mostly about changing attitudes which is known to be a very slow process. This process can be speeded up by bringing up equality issues, with examples, in the staff magazine, intranet or via other suitable channels.